Home swap

Home swap

It is possible for Raglan residents to swap homes (also known as mutual exchange) with another Raglan resident or another housing association or local authority tenant. This will be dependent on the type of tenancy agreement you have and the condition of the tenancy.

Please see table below for eligible tenancies. Approval from both landlords is needed for the swap to happen but we will not withhold our consent to the move unreasonably.

The homes being swapped must be of a reasonable size and generally suitable for the residents taking part in the exchange.

Eligable tenancies Tenancies not covered
  • Standard assured periodic tenancy
  • Standard secure tenancy
  • Assured shorthold tenancy
  • Starter tenancy
  • Leaseholders
  • Shared owners
  • Keyworker tenancy
  • Assured shorthold starter tenancy
  • Licences

How do I find a home swap?

You are responsible for finding your own home swap. Raglan does not hold a list of tenants that want to swap homes so you will need to do one or more of the following to find a home swap:
  • Register with the local authority where you want to live so that you can join and view their list
  • Use a home swapping service. You will find several of these online. Raglan subscribes to a national online scheme called HomeSwapper which Raglan residents can use free of charge to find a home swap. As part of the registration process Raglan will be asked to confirm that your tenancy is eligible for the service.
  • Advertise your property in shop windows, local newspapers or other appropriate places 

When will Raglan refuse a home swap? 

We will not withhold our consent to the move unreasonably, but we can refuse permission on the following grounds:
  • The home being exchanged is not suitable for your needs.
  • If under-occupancy or overcrowding is created as a result of the move.
  • If you rent account is in arrears or you are in breach of another condition of your tenancy.
  • If either party is subject to an Anti-Social Behaviour (ASBO) or possession order.
  • If your tenancy is not eligible for Home Swaps. 
  • If you have carried out any unauthorised works to your property, you may not be allowed to move until these have been dealt with to our satisfaction
  • If there is any damage to your property we may refuse to agree to the exchange until the works have been carried out to a satisfactory condition
  • If your home was originally built under a rural exception planning consent the incoming resident must have a local connection to the area as defined by the original planning agreement.